Staff Resource Guide
Employee Hours for Accessing COM Campuses
Campus access is restricted to 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please work with your supervisor and submit the Employee on Campus During Closure Form if you need to come on campus. Thanks for your cooperation!
Getting Set Up to Work Remotely
Confirm you have reliable access to the internet with your devices.
• If you can’t access a computer, submit a ticket through the COM ServiceDesk.
• Reduced Cost or Free Internet Access
If you need reduced-cost or free internet access, there are multiple organizations that are providing support. We encourage you to research each option to find the best fit for you.
- Webcam (built-in on most laptops)
- Headphones/microphone (microphone built-in on most laptops)
- An ergonomic workspace
- Keyboard/ mouse
- Continue to use Microsoft Office and MyCOM Portal as usual
- You may also connect to your office computer with Citrix Remote Desktop
To access COM Outlook email, log in to the MyCOM Portal. Select Webmail under the Applications heading in the Quick Links section on the left.
Online office and Productivity Applications
- Office 365 (Microsoft Office online) allows you to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applications through any web browser.
- To access Office 365, log in to the MyCOM Portal. Select Office 365 under the Applications heading in the Quick Links section on the left.
File Storage and Sharing
OneDrive is a component of Office 365 and allows you to store and share your files.
Video Conferencing and Meetings
- Check out the Zoom Member and Host Guide.
- Zoom virtual background - allows you to display an image or video as your background during a Zoom Meeting
Login to Office 365 One Drive to download COM images or Mt. Tamalpais video for your background.
(Mt. Tamalpais video courtesy of Jesse Harbison)
- Zoom phone numbers are not toll-free when calling from a landline. If calling from a cell phone or you use your computer audio you will not incur additional charges. However, data charges may apply depending on your data plan.
- Recording a Zoom meeting
- Best practices for securing your Zoom meetings
Phone and Voicemail
Phone Call Forwarding and Voicemail
Forward your desk phone to your cell phone or home phone
To Access Your Voice Mailbox
- From outside the office, dial (415) 485-9600
- Press the # sign key when prompted, then enter your mailbox number (your extension)
- You will be prompted to enter the default security code (your voicemail passcode)
- Follow the prompts to get to your messages
- To log out of the voicemail system, press the star key '*' until the system says "Thank you for calling" or hangs up
Most employees will be working remotely, except for essential personnel. Please note, those designated as essential personnel may change depending on the circumstances, which are changing rapidly. Your supervisor will provide department-specific guidance for working remotely or will inform you if you need to report to campus. If you need resources or tools to work remotely, please let your supervisor know. If your supervisor has not contacted you, please reach out to them as soon as possible.
If you have been identified as essential personnel to be on campus, please ensure you are following the social distancing guidelines. Stay home if you are sick and call your primary care physician or the nurse advice line if you have a fever, cough, or shortness of breath. Continue to practice good hygiene and respiratory etiquette; this is still the best way to reduce the risk of becoming infected with a respiratory virus.
Employees should ensure their employee contact and emergency contact information is up to date.
Instructions for Updating Personal and Emergency Contact Information.
Employee Assistance Program
We recognize how stressful these times are and want to make sure you are aware of resources you might find helpful. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers confidential resources and up to six free counseling visits per issue. You can find out more about our EAP by visiting the District’s benefits website at Employee Wellness or reaching out to the EAP directly at 800-999-7222.
Remote Work Tools and Resources - Information Technology Support
Learning and Training Resources - Training/Employee Development
District updates and resources - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Resources
Local Health Agency Updates
If an employee experiences a disruption in employment, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance. For more information, please review the online options.
- Human Resources
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
- Labor & Workforce Development Agency (LWDA)
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
Employment and Taxes (CA.gov page)
Mail: Courier Runs and Reduced Receiving Hours During Stay at Home Order
Due to the stay at home order, receiving hours will be limited to 9 am – 1 pm Monday through Friday, and the courier run reduced to two (2) times per week in order to minimize staff exposure.
- Please limit orders to critical items necessary to support essential services as much as possible.
- Storage space is extremely limited due to the warehouse consolidation, so longer term storage is not available for shipments at this time.
If you have shipments pending or need of any assistance with intercampus mail or deliveries that are deemed essential and outside of these reduced hours, please notify us as soon as possible so that we can make appropriate arrangements.
Remote Office Operations
Business Processes (Electronic Approvals) - coming soon
Adobe Scan - Free app turns photos into PDFs
To assist students with accessibility accommodations and guide instructors to best practices for making course material accessible check the Accessibility Services page frequently.