Faculty Guide for Providing Instructional Continuity
Employee Hours for Accessing COM Campuses
Campus access is restricted to 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please work with your supervisor and submit the Employee on Campus During Closure Form if you need to come on campus. Employees must perform the Symptom Screening prior to each campus visit. Thanks for your cooperation!
Hygiene and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Stop the Spread of Germs
- CDC: Using PPE
- CDC: Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- EPA: 6 Steps for Safe and Effective Disinfectant Use
- EPA: List N - Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
Protect and Support Staff Who Are at Higher Risk for Severe Illness
Confirm you have reliable access to the internet with your devices.
- If you can’t access a computer or don’t have reliable internet access, submit a ticket through the COM ServiceDesk.
Reduced Cost or Free Internet Access
If you need reduced-cost or free internet access, there are multiple organizations that are providing support. We encourage you to research each option to find the best fit for you.
If you can’t access a computer or don’t have reliable internet access, submit a ticket through the COM ServiceDesk.
Confirm you can log in to the MyCOM Portal.
- If you do not know your username or password, click the Forgotten Username and Reset Password link.
- If you are new to MyCOM, you need to sign up by clicking the First Time User link before you can log in.
- For more information about MyCOM, visit MyCOM FAQ.
Access Canvas through the MyCOM Portal.
Quick Tips for Remote Instruction
- If you are not already in the Canvas Instructor Resources, please add yourself so that you can access basic Canvas tips and the Instructional Continuity Module.
- Only use District-supported technology tools (Canvas, Zoom, VoiceThread, Turnitin, MyCOM email, and other academic technology) to ensure students’ privacy.
- Establish a communication plan with students using the above resources
- If you don’t feel comfortable recording your lectures, there following resources may be useful:
- Reach out to your Canvas Department Mentors
Faculty ConferZoom/Zoom Training and Support
- How to integrate Zoom and Canvas
- Zoom resources and support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Canvas Instructor Resources course
- Zoom virtual background - allows you to display an image or video as your background during a Zoom Meeting
Login to Office 365 One Drive to download COM images or Mt. Tamalpais video for your background.
(Mt. Tamalpais video courtesy of Jesse Harbison)
- Recording a Zoom meeting
- Best practices for securing your Zoom meetings
ConferZoom SUPPORT GUIDES
Zoom phone numbers are not toll-free when calling from a landline. If calling from a cell phone or you use your computer audio you will not incur additional charges. However, data charges may apply depending on your data plan.
For difficulties syncing your ConferZoom and Canvas accounts please first view the resources for using ConferZoom at COM.
- Ensure your Canvas account and your ConferZoom account have the same primary email address. View the tutorial for the COM Canvas-ConferZoom syncing steps.
- Read the COM Canvas-Zoom Integration page in Canvas Instructor Resources course.
Lastly, if it has been over 72 hours since you signed up for ConferZoom, you may need to resubmit the ConferZoom sign-up form. Be sure you have confirmed your account by clicking the link in the email you receive after integration.
For future issues with ConferZoom, submit a ticket through the COM Service Desk.
Faculty Canvas Training and Support
- For course and content design or assistance with integration of tools such as Zoom, VoiceThread, and Turnitin:
- Schedule an appointment with Stacey Lince, instructional designer, should you need assistance with your content in Canvas.
- New to Canvas? Access the following resources:
- Canvas Meetings - Sharing Invitations with Students
- Canvas Accessibility Best Practices
- For basic canvas support issues such as broken links or content not behaving as expected:
- Faculty Canvas Support 24/7:1 (833) 291-3233
- Chat with Canvas Support 24/7
The mission of the Center for Organizational Responsibility and Advancement (CORA) is to support the development of educators in advancing their capacity to serve historically underrepresented and underserved students.
Accessibility of Online Materials
When delivering course content online, consider whether students with disabilities such as blind and low vision, deaf and hard of hearing, or color blindness will have equal access to your materials. Contact Stacey Lince at email@example.com, Instructional Accessibility Specialist for consultation and help.
Set Up Captioning for Your Lectures
Contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to request captioning services: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enable Audio Transcription in Zoom
Audio Transcription can act as a temporary accessibility solution while videos are being captioned otherwise. It is always a good idea to turn it on. See video: How to enable closed captioning
- Sign into ConferZoom web portal, and click Meeting Settings from the side navigation. Then click on the Recording tab.
- From the Recording tab, navigate to the Cloud recording option and verify that the setting is enabled.
- If the setting is disabled, click the Status toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog displays, choose Turn On to verify the change.
- Click the Audio Transcript checkbox to enable it, then click Save to confirm the change.
You can Request Live Captioning, but you need to do it five business days before your ConferZoom meeting or lecture.
To assist students with accessibility accommodations and guide instructors to best practices for making course material accessible check the Accessibility Services page frequently.
Remote Office Operations
- FY 2020—2021 Timecard Schedule Memo (July 6, 2020)
- Download the Hourly Timecard
- Download the Monthly Compensatory Time Worked Report
Adobe Scan - Free app turns photos into PDFs
Most employees will be working remotely, except for essential personnel. Please note, those designated as essential personnel may change depending on the circumstances, which are changing rapidly. Your supervisor will provide department-specific guidance for working remotely or will inform you if you need to report to campus. If you need resources or tools to work remotely, please let your supervisor know. If your supervisor has not contacted you, please reach out to them as soon as possible.
If you have been identified as essential personnel to be on campus, please ensure you are following the social distancing guidelines. Stay home if you are sick and call your primary care physician or the nurse advice line if you have a fever, cough, or shortness of breath. Continue to practice good hygiene and respiratory etiquette; this is still the best way to reduce the risk of becoming infected with a respiratory virus.
Employees should ensure their employee contact and emergency contact information is up to date.
Instructions for Updating Personal and Emergency Contact Information.
Employee Assistance Program
We recognize how stressful these times are and want to make sure you are aware of resources you might find helpful. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers confidential resources and up to six free counseling visits per issue. You can find out more about our EAP by visiting the District’s benefits website at Employee Wellness or reaching out to the EAP directly at 1 (800) 999-7222.
Remote Work Tools and Resources - Information Technology Support
Learning and Training Resources - Training/Employee Development
District Updates and Resources - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Resources
Local Health Agency Updates
If an employee experiences a disruption in employment, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance. For more information, please review the online options.
- Human Resources
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
- Labor & Workforce Development Agency (LWDA)
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
- Employment and Taxes (CA.gov page)