The Online Writing Center (OWC) is available for free to all registered COM students and faculty in all courses!
The OWC is open 24/7 to help students with writing assignments for all college subjects. Students can get help with idea development, organization, and grammar, as well as with research. You can work with an instructional specialist (tutor), as well as access self-help materials and library guides. The OWC also assists students with transfer, scholarship, and job applications, including resumes and cover letters.
The OWC is just a click away.
Students and faculty can access the Canvas OWC page by using the link in the OWC block under the Services tab in the portal or by following these instructions:
1. Log into Canvas
2. Click the Student Support icon located on the main navigation menu
3. Click the Online Writing Center link
4. Click the Enroll and Submit a Paper link
5. Click the Enroll in course button
6. You will now have the OWC course in Canvas on your dashboard
Follow these steps to request tutoring assistance:
1. Review the OWC Tutoring Student Guidelines on the Canvas OWC page.
2. Click on the Submit OWC Tutoring Request link. You will be directed to a form to complete your request on the College of Marin website (Note: You may be required to re-enter your MyCOM login information)
3. Complete all required components of the form.
4. If submitting a paper, upload a Word document at the end of the form.
5. You will receive an email confirmation of your submission to the OWC service desk.
Communicating with your Instructional Specialist:
1. An Instructional Specialist will respond to your request within 24 hours (36 hours during busy times).
2. An email from an Instructional Specialist will be sent to your MyCOM email address.
3. You can reply to your assigned Instructional Specialist directly from your MyCOM email.
4. The Instructional Specialist will close the ticket once he/she has responded to your request; if you have another question, please submit a new tutoring request.
You can find all of these instructions on the COM Reading and Writing Lab page on Canvas. If you have additional questions, you can speak with an instructor in the Reading and Writing Lab (PV4, Kentfield campus) or post in the “Have a technical question about the OWC?” forum on Canvas.
We look forward to working with you on the OWC!