Call for Faculty to Join the IDEA Committee
There are currently vacant faculty seats; please consider applying for or nominating someone for the committee!
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action (IDEA) Committee Charge
The IDEA Committee's goal is to support COM's commitment to providing equitable opportunities for all members of our diverse community. This committee focuses on initiatives rooted in social justice frameworks to build awareness, knowledge, and skills about issues of power, privilege, and oppression that affect the multiple identities and experiences at COM. These identities include but are not limited to race, national origin, religion, culture, socioeconomic status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, political beliefs, and/or ethnic background.
The IDEA Committee makes recommendations, facilitates educational opportunities for cultural competence development, and informs the campus community about innovative methods to cultivate a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment at COM.
The IDEA Committee is advisory to the superintendent/president and provides recommendations for consideration as they apply to significant College decisions and policies.
- Review internal and external research and best practices to implement innovative methods for cultivating a safe, equitable and inclusive campus environment.
- Convene responsible parties working on equity related efforts at the College to discuss alignment and actionable items to improve the COM environment for students and employees.
- Review and recommend equity, diversity, and inclusion-related policies for the District.
- Make recommendations to the superintendent/president on equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the District with regard to ongoing activities and future direction.
- Educate and inform the College community about equity, diversity, and inclusion issues.
- Applications should include a brief statement (no more than 500 words) as to why you want to serve on the committee and what experience you will bring to it in support of fulfilling its charge.
- Nominations should include the name of the individual being nominated and a brief rationale (no more than 200 words).